MSI’s Lightning series never fails to deliver something unique and different. The same is true with the R6970 Lightning here. Complete array of features, high performance, quality components, and maximum overclocking potential are the key points that make it stand out among the rest of the crowd.
Performance wise, the R6970 Lightning is generally faster than the standard Radeon HD 6970 graphics card, which should come as no surprise given its higher core frequency. According to our performance assessment, the additional megahertz generates up to 5% more performance in certain cases. You can expect to have more than 30 FPS in most modern games (including tessellation-intensive, DirectX 11 titles) with maximum graphics setting, at a resolution of up to 1920×1080. The higher core clock results in just 1W increase in load power consumption, but the graphics card does consume more power compared to reference boards when idle.
Don’t forget the TwinFrozr III heatsink that could provide you with more overclocking headroom before you have to resort to more extreme solutions. It effectively dissipates heat, allowing the card to have lower operating temperatures, even as the core clock is set at a higher level. Additionally, the included accessory bundle could help you maximize its capabilities. That said, just about everyone can benefit from the various advantages offered by the R6970 Lightning. However, to harness its full potential, you will need to push it to the limit. After all, that’s what the Lightning series has always been intended for: overclocking.
- High performance
- Decent cooler, the Twin Frozr III.
- Low operating temperature
- Complete features and accessory bundle
- Consumes only a bit more power compared to reference cards
- Higher idle power consumption
- Relatively small factory overclocking
MSI R6970 Lightning
- Manufacturer : MSI
- Info : www.msi.com
- Price : –
- Indonesian Distributor : Alfa Artha Andaya
- Phone : (021) 622 00000
- Graphics Chip : AMD HD 6970
- Interface : PCI Express 2.1 x16
- Memory Size : 2048 MB
- Core Clock : 940 MHz
- Memory Clock : 5500 MHz
- Stream Processor : 1536
- D-Sub Output : Yes (via DVI to D-Sub converter)
- DVI Output : Yes (x2)
- HDMI Output : Yes
- Display Port Output : Yes (x2 mini-Display Ports)
- Memory Type : GDDR5
- Memory Interface : 256-bit
- Accessory Bundle: Manual Book, Quick User’s Guide, Driver Disc, Crossfire Bridge, 2x 6-pin to 8-pin power converters, mini-Display Port to Full-size Display Port converter, DVI to D-Sub converter, and 3x V-Check Point Cables.